DUBAI – A look ahead to the major events of Sunday, 12 December at Expo 2020 Dubai
Equatorial Guinea National Day
- 1615, Al Wasl Plaza
Day 1 of Knowledge and Learning Week
- The fifth of 10 Theme Weeks exploring issues of global importance as part of the Programme for People and Planet.
- Key events include:
RewirEd Summit: Day 1 – Youth, Skills and the Future of Work
- Global education event bringing together stakeholders to address education challenges by exploring new approaches, as well as offering participants an opportunity to agree on a shared vision and concrete action
- 12-14 December, 0900-1800, Hall 1B and 1C Majlis, Rooms 2-5,7,8, Suites 1-2 North
World Majlis: The Science of Everything – Science versus disinformation in the digital realm
- Examines how we can encourage people to believe in science, and counteract the spread of misinformation
- 1600-1800, Terra Auditorium
Micro Spanish lessons
- During Knowledge and Learning Week, the Spain Pavilion will host 2 classes of Spanish language every day.
- Mornings: 1100-1300
- Afternoons: 1600-1900
- Classes will be given by teachers from the Spanish School of Abu Dhabi and the Spanish Teachers Association in the UAE.
Other events include:
Universal Health Coverage Day
- Celebrate frontline healthcare workers in the first Walk the Talk event in the Middle East.
- The Expo 2020 edition of Walk the Talk: The Health for All Challenge, is a collaboration between Expo 2020 Dubai, the UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Participants of all ages and abilities are welcome to walk, jog, dance or move however they want.
- 0930, Mobility Pavilion
Universal Health Coverage Day Press Conference
- On the occasion of the Universal Health Coverage Day, the World Health Organisation is hosting a press conference at Expo 2020 Dubai on “Lessons learnt from COVID-19: strengthening the health systems that drive universal health coverage and health security”, in collaboration with the UN and Expo partners.
- 1230, Expo Media Centre, 2nd floor
Kenya’s celebration of International Universal Health Coverage Day
- The topic is on Kenya’s agenda, which seeks to achieve 100% Universal Health Coverage. This event is a celebration of Kenya’s progress so far in achieving this goal.
- 1700, Kenya Pavilion
Visions and Journeys
- Join one of a series of inspirational talks and chats tackling gender stereotypes, as we move towards a more gender-equal future.
- Ambassador Klára Breuer from the University of Public Service in Budapest will attend this session.
- 1030, Women’s Pavilion
Exhibition on the 45th Anniversary of Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Thailand & UAE
- 1000-2200, Thailand Pavilion
Outlier Series – Cartier Event | How Women Rise, leadership programme
- Internal program around the 12 habits that hold women back, based on the author Sally Helgesen and her award-winning book ‘ How Women Rise’
- 1430-1730, Women’s Pavilion
World Majlis | The Science of Everything: Science Versus disinformation in the digital realm
- Thought leaders, visionaries and change-makers discuss whether making scientific understanding more accessible to everyone can help our planet and our wellbeing.
- 1600, Terra Auditorium
Chromosaturation Exhibition vernissage
- Visit the new temporary exhibition before it opens to the public on 13 December
- 1600-1800, France Pavilion
- For more information and to RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rocky Mountain Ballet Theatre | United States
- A diverse portfolio of American performers and dance styles that represent the iconic, romantic and contemporary American West
- 1800-1900, Jubilee Stage
Neha Kakkar performance
- Enjoy a concert from famous Indian playback singer and composer
- 2030-2230, Jubilee stage
Central African Republic National Day
- 1015, Al Wasl Plaza
ASEAN National Day
- 1615, Al Wasl Plaza
Knowledge and Learning Week Day 2:
RewirEd Summit: Day 2 – Innovation in Education
- 12-14 December, 0900–1800, Hall 1B and 1C Majlis, Rooms 2-5,7,8, Suites 1-2 North
The Listening Pause
- Sessions exploring the preservation and knowledge of intangible cultural heritage and its contribution to the development of new partnerships across sustainability, climate change, community building and coexistence.
- 1030-1845, Spain Pavilion and The Sun Stage
Women’s World’s Majlis | 132 Million Girls: Tackling Gender Disparities in Access to Education
- This panel explores the question of how we can better integrate women’s knowledge and perspectives in decision-making around knowledge and learning.
- 1100-12:30, Women’s Pavilion
Knowledge and Learning Week at the Luxembourg Pavilion
- Participate in an interactive puzzle, cyber security exercises or playful coding workshops to improve your crisis management skills.
- 1000–22:00, Luxembourg Pavilion
Expo Live Impact Series: “Making it possible to fund your education”
- Panel discussion focusing on new ways for students to secure funding for their education, by using today’s technology to both make connections and to foster trust through transparency.
- 1600, The Good Place by Expo Live
Other events include:
Outlier Series | UNESCO: Societies & Policy: The Opportunity to Thrive: Creating Access to Education in the Midst of Crises
- The Cartier Outlier sessions engage the audience in action-oriented conversations on women’s empowerment, bringing together leaders from various countries and sectors in a collaborative effort to spark ideas and trigger change.
- 1530–1615, Women’s Pavilion
UN Women Fireside Chat: “In the voice of two women authors driving innovation and inspiring people towards building an Inclusive and Sustainable Future”
- The objective is to highlight women as role models in different fields, including those who have chosen the path to become authors. What role do they play as agents of sustainable development and positive impact?
- The authors will demonstrate how they attempt to drive people’s engagement and leadership to advance innovation and sustainability for a better world through the power of the pen.
- 1000-1100, UN Hub
UN Global Compact
- This session will include a panel discussion outlining the importance of integrating the youth in the workforce and in frameworks aiming to achieve the SDGs.
- Attend a youth circle aiming at fostering a youth-centric dialogue amongst participants so they can share their insights and challenges on youth integration policies and implementation.
- 1400-1600, UN Hub
Chess Day at the Georgia Pavilion
- Attend a panel discussion on Georgian Grandmasters’ contribution to women’s empowerment through chess. To include a chess competition and a choreographed game
- 1300 to 1845, DEC, Hall 2A South
- Children and adults alike can join the Campus Germany chef to decorate and enjoy freshly baked traditional Christmas cookies and sing along with traditional carols
- From 1600, until 24 December, Germany Pavilion
- In the run-up the Christmas, enjoy performances by the StepUp Academy, with ballet, lyrical, jazz, jive and more, on your favourite Christmas songs at the Germany Pavilion.
- Until 24 December: 2000; From 17 to 21 December: 1900 and 2100; 22 and 24 December: 1930,
Inclusive Community Dance Project
- A collection of local dance stories by people with or without restrictions
- 1830, Germany Pavilion
Tank and the Bangas | United States
- Discover an eclectic and magnetic band from New Orleans: hip-hop, soul, mixed with boundless creativity, unique spoken-word-meets-scat soulful vocals.
- 1900-2030, Dubai Millennium Amphitheatre
Infected Mushroom live show
- Get down to an electronic music show performed by Infected Mushroom, an Israeli musical duo and one of the best-selling groups in Israeli music history.
- 2130–2330, Jubilee Stage
Kyrgyz Republic National Day
- 1015, Al Wasl Plaza
Knowledge and Learning Week Day 3:
UNDP – Knowledge Project “Future of Knowledge”
- Closed regional youth workshop at the UN Hub extending over a period of two days (featuring youth from all over the Arab region).
- The workshop aims to allow youth to explore innovative ideas to solve development and knowledge challenges by equipping them with sub-skills needed for the future, and drive active conversation between youth and decision-makers.
- Know Talks
- Hosting knowledge experts, policymakers, scientists, intellectuals, academics and futurists from around the world, the ‘KnowTalks’ series is driven by the keenness of UNDP and MBRF to further establish pathways for knowledge transfer and dissemination, while contributing to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
- KnowTalks follow the style of Ted Talks.
- The topics are planned will follow the theme of the Knowledge & Learning Week (Future of education and work; Skills and TVET; and Informal education/knowledge systems).
- Ministerial panel 1200-1330
- Know Talk 1400-1500
- High-Level Panel 1800-2000
- Location for all: UN Hub
World Majlis: Knowledge & Learning Week “Equipping Youth to Thrive”
- Thought leaders, visionaries and changemakers discuss how we can provide an education system that better equips children for the Fourth Industrial Revolution world.
- Dr Colin Kennedy – Head of Education & Senior Innovation Specialist, Creative HQ
- 1600-1800, Terra Pavilion
Internationalization of Spanish education
- On the occasion of the Knowledge and Learning Week, some of the most prestigious universities in Spain will gather together to showcase the quality of the Spanish education system.
- For more information, contact Spain Pavilion MLO
Other events include:
Vision & Journeys
- In attendance of Ana Brnablc, Prime Minister of Serbia
- 1200-1300, Women’s Pavilion
Blockchain & AI Conference for SDGs 2030
- 1300-1600, Slovenian Business Centre – Main Hall (Slovenia Pavilion)
Italian Conservatory Orchestra
- Enjoy an ‘Opera Extravaganza’ as the Orchestra Sinfonica Nazionale dei Conservatori Italiani, pays homage to some of Italy’s great composers.
- The programme includes the work of Gioacchino Rossini, Giuseppe Verdi, Vincenzo Bellini and Giacomo Puccini.
- 1530, Al Wasl
Expo Live Impact Series: “Helping schools make learning fun and meaningful”
- Join this panel discussion highlighting innovative solutions focussed on how today’s technologies are helping to capture students’ attention, and supercharge their willingness to learn.
- 1600, The Good Place by Expo Live
DJ STYLEZ Performance
- 1930, Jubilee Stage
Waleed Al Shami Concert
- 2030, Jubilee Stage
Sweden National Day
- 1015, Al Wasl Plaza Outlier Series – Cartier Events
- UNESCO: Societies & policy: The Opportunity to Thrive: Creating Access to Education in the Midst of Crises
- 1030 – 1130, Women’s Pavilion Outlier Series
- The Future of Work for Women
- 1600 – 1730, Women’s Pavilion Positive Spirit Initiative by the Dubai Police: “Improving quality of life – Empowering social harmony and for happy residential neighbourhoods”
- Join a sports, awareness, health, voluntary and training program
- Initiative is under the patronage of HE Lieutenant-General Abdullah Khalifa Al Marri, Chief Commander of Dubai Police.
- From 0900 to 1100, Sports, Fitness And Wellbeing Hub A High-level visit to the UN UAE exhibit
- HE Yacoub Al Hosani, Assistant Minister for International Organisations Affairs, and 30 MoFAIC personnel.
- 1100, UN Hub Hack for Earth “Prize Ceremony”
- Hack for Earth is a global hackathon organized by the UN at Expo and the Sweden Pavilion.
- The winners of the Hackathon will be awarded, as well as winning teams from each category.
- 1400 – 1600, UN Hub FIDE Chess Tournament
- Don’t miss the last day of the world chess calendar! It will be an enthralling contest to intrigue and delight chess fans and the wider public
- 1600 – 2200, Dubai Exhibition Centre Brainiac Live Remixed
- Strap on safety goggles and enjoy a rollercoaster ride as science’s greatest, most volatile live show makes its Dubai debut. The one-off, not-to-be-missed Brainiac Live Remixed! delves into fresh curiosities in science in a re-energised and remixed show.
- 1700 – 1830, Jubilee Stage Matthaios DJ
- Jun Matthew Brecio, better known as Matthaios, a rapper, songwriter, record producer, DJ, streamer, and ludology student from Las Piñas City, Philippines.
- 2000 – 2100, Jubilee Stage Matthaios & Sponge Cola
- Alternative rock/pop boy band Sponge Cola, one of the most popular acts in the Philippines, will headline at the Jubilee Stage along with breakout artist Matthaios, in an all-Filipino line-up.
- 2100 – 2300, Jubilee Stage Moutya Evening
- Enjoy a performance of one of the most popular forms of traditional Seychellois song and dance; the Moutya.
- 2100 – 2300, Dubai Millennium Amphitheatre
Expo’s full calendar is available here